Wednesday, September 30, 2015

OSR inspired text based dungeon crawl




As some of you know I occasionally try to make use of my degree in computer science and program up some text based goodness based around some of my favourite game related things. Many times these have been exercises in futility every time I do I have gotten farther then the last time.


The reason I bring this all up is because some one felt there is a sort of lack of true D&D based computer games. Now I cannot say there is a lack myself as  have played many great games like the goldbox series and many inspired rogue likes. What I feel is missing is something that really brings the feel of the OSR to the screen where you roll up your party with the stats the gods gave ya and make due with what you have. I shall try my hand at remedying this.

My aim is to take as much of the feel of Swords & Wizardry, add in a dash of randomly generated dungeons, and present it all in a text based world. This may never see the day of light but I feel this may be a fun project to take and and as it moves along I will be making further posts and possibly even having an open access to those who wish to give it a try ( I run a text based games server which is where this will be setup for testing).

Please leave your thoughts and comments in the section below, I would love to know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I would certainly be interested in a game like that. Keep it old school, with touches of modernity to keep it fun. Perhaps have a preference box that would allow a player to add features (such as save anywhere, mapping, difficulty of monsters & traps).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of both Telengard and the screenshots of the old PLATO system RPGs.

    ReplyDelete